Posted on 12-08-2015
Leaky Gut Signs & Symptoms
Have you heard of Leaky Gut Syndrome? It could be the root cause of your current health concerns. It's been gaining a lot of attention lately for several reasons. Let's cover some signs and symptoms of leaky gut.
First of all, your gastrointestinal (GI) tract has 4 main functions:
1. It alters food by chemical & mechanical means into substances that can be absorbed. This involves digestive enzymes secreted by the stomach, pancreas and gallbladder.
2. It absorbs nutrients from the small and large intestine.
3. It eliminates unused substances.
4. It keeps tight junctions and prevents bacteria, toxins & foreign particles from leaking into the bloodstream etc.
Here Are 6 Signs You Have Leaky Gut:
1. Food Sensitivities or Intolerances - As you know, in our clinic we don't guess we TEST. People affected by food sensitivities often have leaky gut to blame. Because of the amount of foreign substances, bacteria and toxins that enter the bloodstream, people with leaky gut have immune systems that are in overdrive. This mass produces various antibodies, which makes them more susceptible to antigens in certain foods (especially gluten & dairy).
2. Autoimmune Disease - Remember, most Thyroid conditions are autoimmune in nature, a condition called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Most thyroid challenges can be linked back to Gluten Sensitivities because gluten, if you're sensitive, can destroy your small intestine, which in turn leads to nutrient deficiencies. It's the deficiencies that lead to many autoimmune conditions, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Low Thyroid etc.
3. Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Researches have recently discovered that elevated permeability (leaky gut) is oftentimes localized to the colon in people suffering from irritable bowel syndrome or ulcerative colitis. Another study revealed that leaky gut was prevalent in the majority of Chron's Disease patients.
4. Malabsorption - Like we already talked about, various nutritional deficiencies can result from leaky gut including vitamin B12, magnesium and various enzymes that help people digest food. It leaky gut is suspected it is a good idea to test for nutrient deficiencies.
5. Inflammatory Skin Conditions - The gut-skin connection theory has described how leaky gut or intestinal permeability can cause a whole slew of skin conditions, most commonly psoriasis and acne. Oftentimes dangerous creams or drugs are prescribed for these skin disorders, yet can often be fixed by healing the gut!
6. Body Aches & Pains - Of course whenever toxins or foreign substances leak into the blood stream there is an immune response. This in turn causes a spike in systemic inflammation, leading to chronic pain and inflammation in joints and muscles.
How Do You Fix Leaky Gut?
If you think you have leaky gut after reading this article, there are a couple of things to understand.
1. You don't have to suffer because there is a solution!
2. If you follow these steps to healing leaky gut, you can put your body in a position where it can very well heal itself.
We hope this article finds you doing well. Remember, at Natural Health Solutions in Bloomington, MN we specialize in functional medicine, weight loss & food sensitivity testing. Call today for a free consultation to discuss your concerns with Dr. Mannie. 952-891-2225. Please remember, you don't need to be close to our clinic...we work remotely with patients all across the United States.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.